Our 5 senses let us know what’s going on around us in the world. Imagine if we were to lose two of these vital sense organs. Being unable to smell and taste will be very disruptive to your daily routine and will diminish your quality of life significantly. Without a sense of smell or taste, one may be in danger and not realize it; whether it is inhaling toxic fumes or consuming too much salt or sugar unwittingly. Unfortunately, not many of us are aware that these symptoms can be treated with medical attention.
Loss of taste or smell is a condition which needs a medical consultation. It is important to visit a top ENT surgeon to diagnose the cause behind your symptoms. In Singapore, The ENT Clinic has state of the art facilities with well experienced and qualified ENT doctors who use modern methods for diagnosis and treatment. Once resolved you will find yourself enjoying your favorite foods again and a greater appreciation for having all your senses working in natural order..
Is taste and smell linked?
There is a close connection between your sense of taste and smell. Both taste and smell play a complementary role on how you identify and acknowledge flavour. If you have trouble distinguishing the 5 basic taste sensations of sweet and sour, bitter or saltiness and savoury, it could be that your taste buds as well as the sense of smell is affected. A good example is trying to hold your nose while tasting a lemonade. It should give you a tough time naming the flavour.
How do you identify if you have a taste and smell disorder?
Individuals who have taste disorders could have:
- The sense of taste being distorted
- Hypogeusia- Partial ability to taste with a reduced taste sensation
- A phantom taste sensation of tasting something which isn’t there.
- Agesia – a complete loss of taste could also happen rarely
Sweet, sour, bitter and salty tastes cannot be identified with precision.
Disorders in smell include:
- Variation in the sense of smell
- Loss in the ability to smell
- Hyposmia – reduced ability to detect smell
- Anosmia – complete lack of smell
- Distortion in sense of smell – sweet scents could appear as foul smelling
What are the causes of taste and smell disorders?
In a small percentage of people, loss of taste and smell can be a congenital disorder. However, most of the other causes maybe related to:
- Respiratory infections such as sinus infections, allergies or common cold
- Hormonal variations
- Injury to the head
- Nasal polyps
- Lack of dental hygiene and dental disorders
- Exposure to chemicals
- Radiation therapy to the head and neck
- Consumption of certain medicines
- Illicit drug inhalation
- Cigarette smoking
- Certain surgeries to the middle ear or third molar extraction
- Ageing which makes sense of smell and taste less accurate
Can loss of smell and taste be a concern for health problems?
Yes, a loss of smell and taste can be a concern for bigger health problems. A number of health conditions are related to loss of taste and smell. These include:
- Diseases of the nervous system such as Parkinson Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease and Multiple Sclerosis
- Brain Cancer
- Gland disorders such as Kallmann’s syndrome
- Korsakoff’s psychosis
- Dental and gum problems
- Seizure disorders
- Vitamin deficiency and Malnutrition
How are taste and smell disorders diagnosed?
Your ENT doctor will do a complete physical assessment and inquire about your medical history.
There are a few tests done to confirm the status:
- Scratch and Sniff test – this test will help your doctor to understand if you are able to name the common odours.
- Measuring the lowest intensity of a compound which a person can recognise – this will give an indication of your potential to sense a chemical. Along with measuring intensity, taste comparisons may also be done
- Sip, spit and rinse tests – your ENT doctor will place chemicals on different parts of your tongue and you will be asked to identify the tastes.
- Examination of the nasal cavity, sinuses and oral cavity through endoscopy or a CT scan
How are taste and smell disorders treated?
The otolaryngologist will recommend treatment based on your age, overall health and physical wellness. In addition you will be checked to see how well you are able to cope with certain procedures and medicines. The doctors at the ENT Clinic Singapore will take your preferences and opinions too, to finally land on a treatment option.
If the taste and smell disorder is due to an underlying medical condition such as sinusitis or a respiratory condition, then treating this condition will help to relieve the symptoms. Adjusting the dosage of medications or changing medications could help in some instances. It may be necessary to undergo certain procedures at times, like with the removal of nasal polyps or a surgery to help overcome any nasal blockages.
Your doctor may also counsel you to change any bad habits such as smoking or consumption of illicit drugs.
Can losing smell and taste cause complications?
Losing these two senses impacts on your quality of life. The dangers lie as you will pay less attention to possible fires, toxic fumes, a gas leak or consumption of spoiled beverages and food. Disorders to taste could affect your nutrition levels leading to malnutrition and vitamin deficiency. This opens doors to a reduced immune system which can aggravate simple health problems.
What if I have lost my sense of taste or smell?
Seek medical advice without delay. This condition will resolve when the underlying medical condition is treated. Quitting smoking or taking drugs can improve your senses.
If there is a permanent loss of taste, you can enjoy better meals by eating warm food and enhancing the taste of food with strong flavors by adding herbs in foods. Making food more visually appealing and mixing food textures can help.
Some health facts to keep in mind about taste and smell disorders:
- Losing your ability to taste and smell is the most common taste and smell disorder
- A distorted sense of smell can occur where fragrant smells may appear unpleasant
- Treatment for above symptoms include treating underlying causes
- Taste and smell disorders affect quality of life.
- Taste and smell disorders can be treated.
What should I do if I have a taste and smell disorder?
If you are in Singapore, then a preferred choice by many patients is the ENT Clinic Singapore. Before you visit you can jot down the questions you have in mind and once you meet your ENT specialist you can discuss further, including new medicines and treatment options available to you and discuss at length any side effects. Conveniently located in Mt. Elizabeth Novena Hospital and Gleneagles Hospital in Singapore, the practice offers comprehensive otolaryngological care.
More and More People Are Now Looking to Buy Sildenafil Online
As more and more people continue to make the switch to online shopping as a result of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, several businesses have benefitted from this. But how has it changed the process of purchasing medications online? In this article, we will be providing you with insight into why more people than ever before have begun to purchase medication such as Sildenafil tablets online.
Changes To The Information Surrounding The Sale Of Medication
When looking at the steps in place that have led to the sale of Sildenafil tablets online the most important step has been the changes to the distribution. With Viagra and Sildenafil tablets once being sold over the counter and only available on prescription, it was this limitation that did not allow customers to buy sildenafil online until the rule’s changes. The changes were implemented in 2018 and meant that this medication was now widely accessible.
The Effects Of Covid-19 On Online Shopping
Another aspect that has caused this shift in the buying behaviour surrounding this form of medication is the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic. With many of us shielding and limiting our time out of the house, there has been a huge behavioural shift in the amount of online shopping that has been taking place. This has meant that many businesses that did not rely on E-commerce have now had to adapt in order to accommodate their shops being closed. This has therefore led to more money being spent on medication online.
What To Know Before Purchasing Sildenafil Online?
Though there has been a substantial increase in the number of people looking to buy sildenafil tablets online, it is important to remember that there are several elements to consider before purchasing. One of the most important of course is the dosage that you need. If you have ordered sildenafil before either over the counter or online, then it is important to maintain the same dosage. However, for those that have not, it is important to get a second opinion from a medical professional on the dosage that you need as a result of this.
How Has Technology Revolutionised The Distribution Of Medication?
The final element that has had a huge impact on the number of people purchasing this medication online is the available technology. With many having faster computers and phones than ever before, they can order this medication with ease in just a few simple clicks. Couple this with faster delivery times and you are then met with the winning combination for faster deliveries and improved tracking. It is this easy process that has led to more people than ever purchasing their medication online as the lockdown restrictions continue to keep people inside during this uncertain time.
With this in mind, there are several smaller elements that have led to a shift in buying behaviour when it comes to medication online. Will you be using these online pharmacy services in the future to purchase your medication?
- Branden Condy Is Here to Leave a Legacy November 30, 2020
- A Clear Vision Makes The Arduous Journey Easier And Less Stressful – Says Rahul Saggu November 29, 2020
- Patriot Funding is A Bad Choice To Get Out of Debt November 28, 2020
- Lucy & Louis Helps Kids Make Like-Minded Friends November 28, 2020
- 55 Printing Announces Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals for Printing Products Online November 28, 2020
- Vanessa Donnelly Embarks On A New Path As A Publicist In Los Angeles November 27, 2020
- [QUICK GUIDE] How Much Does Home Warranty Coverage Cost? | Total Home Protection November 27, 2020
- Los Angeles Rapper King Musa Releases New Project “A Superstar” November 25, 2020
- Learn how Nick Stahl became one of the Youngest fitness influencers in the world! November 24, 2020
- Stevie Wonder leaves his impression as “the most magical human being to walk this planet” November 24, 2020
Lifestyle1 year ago
Catholic Cases App brings Church’s Moral Teachings to Androids and iPhones
Tech2 years ago
Cloud Buyers & Investors to Profit in the Future
Lifestyle3 months ago
The Midas of Cosmetic Dermatology: Dr. Simon Ourian
Entertainment1 year ago
Avengers Endgame now Available on 123Movies for Download & Streaming for Free
Health2 years ago
CBDistillery Review: Is it a scam?
World2 years ago
The New Feyenoord Stadium to have 63000 Seat Capacity
Entertainment1 year ago
123Movies Predicts Hobbs and Shaw will be the Most Downloaded Movie of 2019
Entertainment1 year ago
Jonas Brothers’ ‘Chasing Happiness’ Amazon Documentary now Available for Free on Fmovies