While some doctors work as locum tenants instead of full-time jobs, the majority of doctors work in addition to full-time jobs, according to a new study. Last year, 40,000 doctors worked in senior positions in the US, and physician recruiters and locum tenens companies are an important part of this fast-growing industry.
Data from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Department of Health indicate that locum doctors will help address the challenges facing hospitals and millions of patients across the country in the coming decades.
Reasons Why Doctors Choose Locum Work
- Locum doctors fill many posts and ensure that more people go to doctors and receive medical care, which compensates for the shortage of doctors, especially in underserved areas.
- Many locum doctors use temporary work to focus their careers solely on clinical care. Hospital doctors can also use it to determine what they want to do with their careers.
- Hospital administrators also find using temporary staffing solutions appealing to save on training and career development costs, and the cost of treatment errors is covered in most contracts.
- High demand also means that doctors can afford to be flexible about where they want to use their skills and when they want to work.
- Given the large number of patients currently being seen, GPs can feel safer to find work at any time and be more flexible in their working hours.
- Salaries for general practitioners have increased in recent years, but doctors often have no leeway to negotiate with health care providers. Working as a locum gives a doctor the opportunity to increase their earnings.
- Some locum doctors choose this type of employment because they can explore different hospital situations and locations to determine where they want to settle.
- Newly trained doctors may opt for a locum-based position because it can be a more stable and affordable option than starting their own practice.
- Many doctors do this type of work to earn extra income and gain more experience, but there are doctors who want to end their careers or work less in retirement.
- Some temporary doctors are willing to take a second or third job to supplement their income and pay off student loans, according to the American College of Physicians.
- With locum tenens, doctors can work in any medical function, and there is a wide range of jobs available in different medical specialties.
- Many doctors say they can be more present at home because they don’t worry about paperwork, personnel decisions, or departmental meetings.
- Hospitals and facilities across the country regularly use locums when full-time staff is on leave or they are waiting to hire a new doctor. So there are ample opportunities locum doctors can choose from.
The Popularity of Locum Work Will Continue
Not long ago, working in locum tenens was seen as a way for older doctors to retire or new doctors to try different jobs before committing permanently. While there are still a small number of doctors in the US with full-time jobs, a growing number of doctors are taking a new view of locum tenens work and defining it as part of their career path.
The Best Destinations for a Road Trip during COVID-19
The road trip is a great way to see so many places, but this has never been more relevant than during the times of the COVID-19 pandemic. With planes and trains becoming increasingly dangerous as the virus spreads, hopping in the car is a perfect alternative for a getaway. When you use your own transportation, the options multiply. Plus if you’re comfortable getting on a plane, there are plenty of places you can hit the open road to relax and take on some adventure while enjoying lower numbers of the virus. Here are some of the best destinations for a road trip.
Not only is the tiny island country of Iceland a short flight from Europe or the East Coast of the United States, it is one of the best countries for a road trip. It only takes eight days to drive around the entire country, and spreading the itinerary out can make for a leisurely and immersive trip through one of the most beautiful places in the world. With glorious green hills, ocean views, waterfalls, and more, Iceland has it all for those who love the outdoors. Camp or stay in small inns along the way. While you will have to do the mandatory 14-day quarantine, when you are able to hit the road you will enjoy a small population and low COVID-19 numbers.
With the highest numbers of the COVID-19 virus in the world, few international travelers will want to come to the United States. But if you already live in the US and want to take a road trip, the Southwest is a great option. You’ll want to avoid California but with Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, and Texas, you can have wide open space and room to drive to great sites and parks. You have the option to camp or stay in hotels where they’re open. If you don’t have a car, now might be the right time to invest in one with a used auto loan. Then you will be able to enjoy the gorgeous vistas of the Southwest in your new car.
Canada has a fraction of the US population and a ton of land to work with, which makes it a great option for road tripping. It depends on where you want to go, but there is no shortage of options. You can even take a trip from Montreal to Vancouver and see the whole bottom belt of the country in style. Canada has so much to offer in the way of natural beauty and sites, you won’t have a hard time avoiding people. The travel restrictions are tight, but if you can make it in the country and do the obligatory quarantine, you will have less to worry about.
Both Australia and New Zealand have strict COVID-19 regulations, which make it a safe place for a getaway. After the 14-day quarantine, you will enjoy low numbers of the virus and wide open spaces. There is a lot of room in these countries to spread out. However, to get into Australia you will need to spend at least two weeks in New Zealand if you’re not a citizen, resident, or immediate family member. Still this provides a variety of avenues to visit Australia and stay safe by driving around the country instead of using public transport. When you follow the rules and be safe, you will have a great opportunity to enjoy these two countries and all the natural beauty they have to offer.
While you may think it isn’t appropriate to travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, life will have to continue at some point. There is no avoiding a return to relative normalcy. If we don’t, the world economy could be in danger of collapsing. Make your travel plans ahead of time and do your best to be safe. If we don’t live our lives and enjoy it while we’re here, what are we doing? It is completely possible to be safe and moral but enjoy yourself. If you feel comfortable traveling, these road trip options provide the ability to stay away from people and enjoy the natural world. It will do all of us a lot of good.
- Why CEN Standardization is Good for Big Tech and Small Businesses March 6, 2021
- 6 Critical Non-Finance Skills To Have In Your Finance Career March 6, 2021
- Tips for Saving Money on Daily Living Expenses March 6, 2021
- Savage Grow Plus Reviews – Natural Ingredients in Savage Grow Plus or Side Effects? March 5, 2021
- How Wealth Dragons Became A Force To Be Reckoned With March 5, 2021
- Our Top 5 Tips On Hair Health March 5, 2021
- Steven Dorn: Your Favorite Entrepreneur’s Favorite Entrepreneur March 4, 2021
- Shahn Donovan Drops Emotional New Single “Can’t Break Away” March 3, 2021
- Kid Gift Ideas In 2021 March 3, 2021
- Prominent Entertainment icon Craig Cavanagh, now a Transpiring Global Brand March 3, 2021
Lifestyle2 years ago
Catholic Cases App brings Church’s Moral Teachings to Androids and iPhones
Lifestyle3 weeks ago
East Side Hype x Billionaire Boys Club. Hottest New Streetwear Releases in Utah.
Tech2 years ago
Cloud Buyers & Investors to Profit in the Future
Lifestyle6 months ago
The Midas of Cosmetic Dermatology: Dr. Simon Ourian
Health2 years ago
CBDistillery Review: Is it a scam?
Entertainment2 years ago
Avengers Endgame now Available on 123Movies for Download & Streaming for Free
Tech1 year ago
Bosch Power Tools India Launches ‘Cordless Matlab Bosch’ Campaign to Demonstrate the Power of Cordless
World2 years ago
The New Feyenoord Stadium to have 63000 Seat Capacity