Strength and Vulnerability: Majd Zaher’s New Novel Looks Beyond the Veneer of Lebanese Society
- Your first book ‘Borderline Love in Beirut’ explores some challenging topics and complex characters. Can you explain the inspiration behind the story?
Growing up in a conservative family brought many challenges to my life. There was always something missing in every moment I spent living. There was a part of me that I wanted to discover and unleash yet I was afraid of judgments and backlash. Hence, I grew up as the loneliest kid in town as I had no friends and always found myself the weakest individual wherever I was. Moving out from my family’s house and starting an independent life was an eye-opening experience and the main motive that made me talk and write. I wanted this novel to be a celebration for everyone who doubted his own potential, who thought that other’s opinion would be able to dim his or her own light, and on a personal level I wanted to prove to all those who had ever bullied me that I was able to find success and peace after all.
- One of the themes you deal with is marginalization and marginalized groups. Why did you decide to address this topic?
Writing has always been a way to pave the road towards a better world and an escape from the prisons we might be existing in. Talking about marginalized groups is based on my stance that everyone has the right to exist if they are not hurting or killing anyone else; and no one has the right to decide who is eligible to enjoy life and who is not. Unfortunately, in Lebanon, we have no laws to protect vulnerable or marginalized groups. These groups include immigrants, domestic labors, queer people, or any other category. In Borderline Love in Beirut, I was no longer Majd, I ascended to Joy and Adam’s soul to show the world how difficult living life becomes when no one likes you, when everyone avoids you, and when everyone judges you for what you look like and not for the real person you are. In Lebanon, we have laws that penalize love that does not protect women from harassment. In Lebanon, our system does not give any attention to the importance of mental health and does not help marginalized groups to engage in society.
- What is the role of mental health in ‘Borderline Love’, and what are some lessons about dealing with or treating mental health issues from the story?
In Borderline Love in Beirut mental health is the crux of the story. I will not be able to say how this Borderline case will evolve yet I could tell you how it all started. Joy and Adam were the victims of a society that has never been able to embrace them the way they are. Experiencing death, upbringing challenges, and health concerns, Joy and Adam grew to become victims each in their own way. The takeaway is that offering mental health care and support for people who undergo a certain trauma, and even those who did not, is something critical. We can no longer sit still when almost every hour a Lebanese citizen ends his or her life. We cannot sit still when people still think seeking mental health care are mad. We should learn that the strongest of us can sometimes be the weakest and most vulnerable.
- Is ‘Borderline’ a cautionary tale? Or is it intended as a reflection of another kind?
I see in Borderline Love in Beirut as many tales narrated at once. This novel carries in its pages a cautionary and reflective approach. At many parts of the story when I discussed Joys struggles with loneliness, self-hate and first love I was narrating many past incidents. However, in other pages, I detached myself from this reality and decide to go the extra mile and tell others how destructive it would be for anyone to fall in love before loving himself or herself, or how painful does it become when you don’t praise your uniqueness, or you don’t embrace yourself before listening to people’s judgments.
- The book is set in contemporary Beirut and focuses primarily on young characters. How do you perceive your own society in Lebanon in terms of some of these issues, including marginalized groups and mental health issues? What would you hope for the future of Lebanon in terms of societal relations and acceptance?
In Lebanon, the lifestyle is not bearable anymore but I’m still hopeful of what is coming next because I believe one day my people will wake up to realize that coexisting and accepting the other is the only way to guarantee long-lasting peace and prosperity. It is difficult to find words to describe Lebanese society, but I will say that it is strange and paradoxical. For example, if you go to certain areas in Beirut, you’ll see people of different backgrounds enjoying their lives without the essence of discrimination and stigma. However, if you would leave the city for a less than five-minute drive, you will see the opposite. My wish and sincere hope for the future is to have a safe place for all people to live in Lebanon. To have laws that do guarantee the rights of the weak, and more laws to ensure gender equality. I do hope as well more effort will be done to abolish the rules that penalize love and strengthen the rifts in society.
- The past year has been incredibly hard for Lebanon, and the world. What do you hope to impart, through ‘Borderline Love’ to young Lebanese who might have struggled through the August 4th explosion, COVID, and other major obstacles?
My message here is for those who have struggled and continue to struggle, for those who have lost and learned, for those who are still seeking to find a path to a safe shore, to all dreamers and seekers, to all lovers, to parents and youth. I want to tell them all that fighting can be exhausting but the end results will be rewarding. Let them all know that we will not rest, nor will we accept living in a place where our brothers and sisters are being killed. Not when the weak are always abused, and when all we want to do is love yet obstacles are placed in our way. Let them all know that we shall rise, and we will rise stronger than ever because after each storm there is always hope. Borderline Love in Beirut is the utmost manifestation of this idea.
Sofia Saidi a well-rounded host of MBC turns heads with her look at Cannes 2023
Hollywood’s greatest luminaries dropped anchor at Cannes this year and all of them were clothed appealingly. Among them is Sofia Saidi, She Graced the event by being attired in a stunning gown and it was a breathtaking fashion ensemble by Gaby Charbachy, which complemented her innate and natural beauty flawlessly. In a rather stunning display of beauty and sophistication, Sofia wore the diamond emerald necklace from the eminent Indian jeweller Renu Oberoi leaving a last impression on not just everyone around her but all those seeing the live broadcast of the international film festival.
The captivating black and white gown she wore embraced Sofia’s figure initiating a stunning silhouette and accentuating her lean figure with its impeccable tailoring. The decadent, vibrant shade of the gown faultlessly complemented her complexion, making her glow like the true star that she is and the masterpiece on her neck added a supplementary tinge of glamour and a fairytale-like feel to her entire getup.
The effortless, tousled hairstyle summed up a whiff of softness and feminity and added a hint of relaxed classiness to her red carpet-look, enriching her overall aura of grace and charisma.
- SamBoat Makes Waves in the US May 24, 2023
- Sofia Saidi a well-rounded host of MBC turns heads with her look at Cannes 2023 May 23, 2023
- Six Ways Construction Workers Can Stay Healthy May 23, 2023
- Creating a Comprehensive Onboarding Program: Key Elements & Best Practices May 23, 2023
- 9 Different Types of Pharmacies and their Unique Purpose May 22, 2023
- The True Benefits of Decluttering for Your Mental Health and Wellness May 17, 2023
- Comfort and Functionality: The Importance of Clothing in the Food Industry May 16, 2023
- Using Technology and Data Analysis to Examine Voter Behavior Trends May 15, 2023
- 5 Tactical Employee Retention Strategies for SBOs May 13, 2023
- Professional Security Guards: Reducing Risk from Fire Hazards May 3, 2023
Tech2 years ago
Effuel Reviews (2021) – Effuel ECO OBD2 Saves Fuel, and Reduce Gas Cost? Effuel Customer Reviews
Tech4 years ago
Bosch Power Tools India Launches ‘Cordless Matlab Bosch’ Campaign to Demonstrate the Power of Cordless
Lifestyle4 years ago
Catholic Cases App brings Church’s Moral Teachings to Androids and iPhones
Lifestyle2 years ago
East Side Hype x Billionaire Boys Club. Hottest New Streetwear Releases in Utah.
Tech4 years ago
Cloud Buyers & Investors to Profit in the Future
Lifestyle3 years ago
The Midas of Cosmetic Dermatology: Dr. Simon Ourian
Health4 years ago
CBDistillery Review: Is it a scam?
Entertainment4 years ago
Avengers Endgame now Available on 123Movies for Download & Streaming for Free